"A Smile Before Sunrise"

Image
  A Smile Before Sunrise The island rose from the dark water like a carefully guarded secret. Halcyon Retreat was not merely a private island—it was a statement. Glass-walled villas curved along the shoreline, their golden lights shimmering across the quiet tide. A sleek dock extended into the silver water where a black yacht rested like a silent witness. Palm trees swayed gently beneath a velvet sky, and soft orchestral music floated through the evening air from hidden speakers embedded in stone pathways. “It looks expensive,” Eli whispered as the boat approached the dock. “Which means I should probably avoid touching anything.” Zane Faulkner stood at the bow, one hand resting casually in his coat pocket, the other adjusting his cuff as though he were arriving at a minor social inconvenience rather than a luxury paradise. His dark blue overcoat moved softly in the breeze. His sharp eyes scanned the island—not the lights, not the beauty—but the angles, the shadows, the distances. “...

"Fare Of Death"


 


THE BODY IN THE TAXI

The rain had only just stopped when the yellow taxi rolled slowly to the curb in front of Westbridge Plaza. The streetlights painted long reflections across the wet asphalt, and the faint city fog blurred the outlines of everything it touched. It was 2:13 a.m. when Officer Quinn discovered the cab driver shouting for help.

Inside the taxi, a man slumped sideways, head pressed against the window. His shirt collar was stained a deep, violent red. A single stab wound. No signs of a struggle. His wallet intact. No weapon inside the vehicle.

“Looks like a clean kill,” Quinn muttered, though her face clearly showed she didn’t believe the simplicity of her own words.

Two more officers arrived, flashlights slicing through the dim. The dead man’s glasses lay crooked beside him on the seat. The meter displayed a curious reading:
FARE: $42.00 — TWO STOPS RECORDED.

Quinn frowned. “Driver says he only had one passenger and drove straight. How does a straight ride record two stops?”

“Faulty meter?” another officer guessed.

“But then why is the meter accurate on time and price?” Quinn snapped. “It didn’t glitch on anything else.”

“And why is there no blood on the taxi floor except exactly under the body?” the youngest officer added. “It’s almost too neat.”

Quinn rubbed her forehead. “And where’s the murder weapon? It’s a tight space. The killer couldn’t have stabbed him and walked out unnoticed. Someone had to see something.”

But no one had. And nothing made sense.

The officers exchanged uneasy looks, as if the taxi itself had become a puzzle box.

Quinn sighed. “Send this to the Special Division. We need Faulkner. As much as his attitude annoys the hell out of me, the man gets results.”

ZANE’S APARTMENT

Morning sunlight spilled across the wooden floor of Zane Faulkner’s apartment. A record player hummed softly in the background, filling the room with a vintage jazz melody. Books, case files, chess pieces, and a half-finished cup of black coffee surrounded him like ornaments in an organized chaos only he understood.

Zane, in a plain white shirt and charcoal trousers, leaned over his desk, pen tapping rhythmically. His hair had that effortless, stylish mess to it, and the sly smile on his lips suggested his mind was playing seven games at once.

Eli barged in without knocking—like always.

“You know,” Eli began dramatically, “normal people knock. Normal people also sleep. Normal people don’t wake up at five in the morning to listen to creepy old jazz records.”

Zane didn’t look up. “Good morning to you too, Eli. And the record is not creepy. It’s sophisticated. Something you wouldn’t understand.”

Eli dropped on the couch with the tragic elegance of a man who’d lost everything. “I understand plenty! Jazz just feels like someone is whispering suspiciously behind me.”

“That’s called art.”

“That’s called stress.”

Zane smirked. “Art is stress. That’s why you’ll never appreciate it.”

Eli threw a cushion at him. “I hate you sometimes.”

“Only sometimes? I’m improving.”

Before Eli could retort, Zane’s phone rang.

THE CALL

Zane raised a brow at the number. “Westbridge Police Headquarters. This should be delicious.”

He answered in his usual calm tone. “Faulkner speaking.”

Officer Quinn’s urgent voice cut through. “We’ve got a clean but… confusing homicide. Taxi cab. Male victim. Single stab wound. The scene makes no logical sense, so naturally, we need your twisted brain.”

Zane’s eyes gleamed. “Flattery will get you everywhere. Text the location.”

He hung up, grabbed his black overcoat from the chair, and headed for the door.

Eli sat up. “Wait—wait! Murder? Again? Why do these people wake us up like this?”

“Because,” Zane replied, slipping into his coat, “we’re brilliant, Eli.”

“I’m… a little brilliant. You’re the annoying kind.”

Zane patted his shoulder. “Don’t worry. I’ll let you carry my pen today. Try not to faint from the responsibility.”

Eli groaned as he followed him out.

ARRIVAL AT THE CRIME SCENE

The taxi sat under police tape, its yellow body smeared with raindrops, the night chill still lingering in the air. Officers stepped aside the moment Zane arrived—his reputation always preceded him.

“Faulkner,” Quinn greeted him, relieved but pretending not to be.

Zane tilted his head. “Quinn. You look tired. Complicated crime scene?”

“You’ll see.”

Zane approached the taxi slowly, eyes scanning every angle. Eli stood behind him, hugging himself against the cold.

“Why is everything always cold at murder scenes?” Eli whispered.

Zane ignored him, leaning toward the open rear door.

The body had already been transported, but the blood pattern remained—a perfect, almost surgical pool on the seat. No splash on windows, no cast-off streaks.

“Neat,” Zane murmured. “Too neat.”

Quinn nodded. “Driver claims he didn’t stop anywhere except the victim’s destination. But meter recorded two stops.”

Zane placed a hand over the taxi meter, examining its faint glow. “And you verified the meter works fine?”

“Tech is running full diagnostics, but preliminary check says it’s perfect.”

Zane smiled faintly. “Meters don’t lie. Drivers often do.”

Quinn folded her arms. “Driver might be lying, but then where’s the weapon? And how did the killer exit without anyone seeing?”

Zane tapped the edge of the door. “Good questions.”

His eyes locked onto a small smear near the seatbelt buckle—almost invisible unless seen at an angle. A greyish smudge.

Zane scraped it lightly with a gloved finger. “Interesting…”

“What is it?” Eli asked, leaning too close.

“Eli,” Zane said calmly, “you’re breathing in my ear. Step back before I throw you into traffic.”

Eli stumbled back. “I’m just trying to help!”

“You help by not helping.”

Zane studied the smudge. “Dust. Fine. Very fine. Could be factory-grade metal dust.”

“From what?” Quinn asked.

“That,” Zane replied, “is what makes it interesting.”

THE THREE SUSPECTS

Quinn pointed toward the line of officers. “We’ve detained three individuals connected to the victim. Each claimed they interacted with him earlier tonight.”

Zane’s smile widened slightly. “Excellent. Let’s meet the inconsistencies.”

Suspect 1: Daniel Reed – The Colleague

Tall, nervous, mid-40s. Constantly wiping his glasses.

Zane faced him. “You worked with the victim?”

Daniel nodded quickly. “Yes—we left a corporate dinner. He booked a taxi. I left separately.”

“Did he seem troubled?” Zane asked.

Daniel hesitated. “He… got a strange message. On his phone. He looked scared. After that, he rushed out.”

“What message?”

“I—I didn’t see. But he whispered something like… ‘Not tonight.’”

Eli frowned. “That’s creepy.”

Daniel nodded. “Yes. But I swear I didn’t follow him. I went home.”

Zane leaned slightly. “Yet your home is in the opposite direction of this plaza. Why were you near here?”

Daniel froze. “I—I was just walking. Air. I needed air.”

Zane’s smile sharpened. “Air that coincidentally guided you five blocks off your usual route?”

Daniel swallowed.

Suspect 2: Olivia Hart – The Ex-Girlfriend

Elegant, cold expression, arms crossed tightly.

Zane sat across from her. “You were seen near the taxi stand.”

“I came to talk to him,” she said bluntly. “We had unresolved issues.”

“What issues?”

“That’s personal.”

Zane leaned back. “Everything becomes public when murder is involved.”

Olivia glared. “I didn’t kill him. I came to return his watch. He left it at my apartment a week ago. I just wanted closure.”

“Did he accept the watch?”

“No. He didn’t even get out of the taxi. He saw me and looked terrified.”

“Terrified?” Zane repeated.

“Yes. And sped away. That’s the last I saw.”

Eli whispered in Zane’s ear, “She looks like she could murder someone.”

Zane whispered back, “So do you after a bad sandwich. Don’t judge yet.”

Suspect 3: Marcus Vale – The Stranger

Muscular build, hoodie, frustrated expression.

Zane began calmly. “You reported the taxi to the police, correct?”

Marcus nodded. “Yeah. I saw the driver waving like crazy.”

“Where were you at the exact moment the taxi arrived?”

“Leaving the gym.”

Zane looked him up and down. “You don’t seem sweaty.”

Marcus stiffened. “I shower there.”

Zane’s eyes narrowed. “Convenient.”

Marcus crossed his arms. “Look, man, I didn’t kill anyone. I don’t know the victim. I was just passing through.”

“You told officers the taxi seemed to be swerving before stopping,” Zane said. “Why?”

Marcus shrugged. “Driver looked panicked.”

“Or you looked suspicious?” Zane countered softly.

Marcus clenched his jaw. “Believe what you want.”

DISCUSSING THE STATEMENTS

Zane pulled Eli aside. “Three suspects. Three entirely different narratives. All three incorrect in some way.”

Eli nodded rapidly. “Yeah, the colleague is definitely guilty.”

Zane raised an eyebrow. “What makes you say that?”

“He’s sweating!”

“Eli,” Zane replied dryly, “you sweat when the elevator gets stuck at floor three.”

“I have trauma!”

“You have imagination.”

Eli crossed his arms. “Okay fine, then the ex-girlfriend. She looks evil.”

“You dislike her because she ignored you when you waved at her.”

“She should be honored someone waved!”

Zane rolled his eyes. “Your logic is exhausting.”

Eli pointed at Marcus. “Then him! He’s too calm. People shouldn’t be calm after seeing a dead body.”

“By that logic,” Zane said with a sly grin, “I should be arrested immediately.”

Eli sighed dramatically. “This is impossible.”

Zane patted his shoulder. “Not for all of us.”

THE METER MYSTERY

Zane turned back to the taxi, crouching beside the door. His eyes traced every inch of the interior, soaked in every minor detail. Eli hovered behind him.

“Two stops recorded,” Zane murmured. “But the driver insists there was only one. And yet our victim was killed between those two stops.”

Eli frowned. “Then who made the second stop? Ghosts don’t use taxis.”

Zane paused.

Then—
A faint smile curved across his lips.

But he didn’t explain.

“Why are you smiling?” Eli whispered. “Why do you always smile at random moments? It terrifies me.”

Zane stood. “Because, Eli… one of them is lying in a very interesting way.”

“Which one?”

“All of them,” Zane said calmly. “But only one lie changes everything.”

“Which lie?!”

Zane didn’t answer.

LYRA ARRIVES

Half an hour passed while Zane interviewed officers, rechecked the perimeter, and silently examined the meter again. The fog was lifting, but the mystery remained thick.

A black car pulled up smoothly beside the police line.

Lyra Vance stepped out.

Perfectly composed, hair tied back, long coat flowing, expression sharp with controlled irritation. She walked straight toward Zane, stopping just close enough to show she wasn’t pleased.

“You called me at six in the morning,” she said. “I hope you realize I am not a sunrise person.”

Zane turned to her with a soft, knowing smile. “You look radiant enough to replace the sunrise.”

Lyra blinked once. “Don’t start.”

“Start what?”

“That,” she said flatly.

Eli leaned toward Lyra. “Trust me, he woke me up too. I nearly died emotionally.”

Lyra smirked. “Don’t you die emotionally every day?”

Eli gasped. “I thought you cared!”

“I do,” she replied, patting his arm with mock sympathy. “Just… selectively.”

Zane watched them with amusement. “Children, if you’re done bonding over your shared suffering, we have a murder to solve.”

Lyra folded her arms. “Then brief me.”


THE CLUES RECAP

Zane led them around the taxi.

“One stab wound. No weapon. No defensive struggle. Meter recorded two stops, but driver insists there was only one. Victim feared something before entering the taxi. Three suspects, three different lies.”

Lyra studied the meter. “Two stops. But the second stop could be where the killer got off.”

Eli raised a finger. “But… nobody saw anyone leave the taxi.”

Lyra nodded. “Exactly.”

Zane turned to her. “And why is that?”

Lyra raised an eyebrow. “Because the killer might never have left at all?”

Eli’s eyes widened. “Oh my god, is he still in the trunk?!”

“No,” Zane said, pinching the bridge of his nose, “the killer is not in the trunk.”

Eli lowered his voice. “Okay… but it was a good guess.”

“No,” Lyra corrected gently, “it was a terrible guess.”


RE-INTERVIEWING THE SUSPECTS

Zane gathered them again, each one looking more tense than before.

Daniel Reed

He avoided eye contact, hands trembling slightly.

“You said the victim received a scary message,” Zane began. “What made you think it was scary?”

Daniel hesitated. “His expression. And he whispered ‘Not tonight.’ That’s all.”

“You went five blocks off your route home,” Zane pointed out. “Why?”

Daniel swallowed. “I told you… I needed air.”

Zane stared at him for a full five seconds, silent. Daniel’s legs visibly shook.


Olivia Hart

Olivia looked visibly annoyed.

“You tried to return his watch,” Zane said. “But you didn’t actually show it to anyone.”

“I have it in my purse,” she said coldly.

Zane tilted his head. “Show me.”

She froze for half a second, then slowly opened her purse and pulled out the watch.

Zane took it delicately, examining it. “Interesting. Recently polished.”

“I clean my things,” she muttered.

“Do you?” Zane asked softly.


Marcus Vale

Marcus crossed his arms defensively.

“You saw the taxi swerving,” Zane said. “Explain.”

“I was walking. I saw the lights. Looked weird, so I approached. Driver started waving. Simple.”

“You showered at the gym,” Zane noted. “Yet you smell like cheap cologne.”

Marcus stiffened. “Does it matter?”

“Everything matters,” Zane said.


THE TEAM DISCUSSION

Zane pulled Eli and Lyra aside.

Lyra spoke first. “All three are lying. The colleague lied about his route. The ex lied about the watch. The gym guy lied about something—probably his timeline.”

Zane nodded. “Correct.”

Eli looked at both of them helplessly. “And yet we have no weapon, no clear motive, and no idea how the killer escaped!”

Lyra shrugged. “Or if the killer ever escaped.”

Eli’s jaw dropped. “Don't tell me he turned invisible?”

Zane chuckled. “Eli, if we ever investigate invisibility, I’ll let you take the lead.”

Eli puffed up proudly—then paused. “Hey! That was an insult disguised as a compliment!”

“Good boy,” Zane replied.

Lyra smirked. “He does that.”


ELI’S FUNNY OBJECTION

They returned to the suspects’ statements. Zane paced softly, hands behind his back—classic Sherlock composure mixed with Imran’s playful mischief.

Eli suddenly snapped his fingers. “Wait! Something doesn’t make sense!”

Zane looked at him with amused interest. “Do enlighten us, maestro.”

Eli pointed at Olivia. “She said the victim saw her and got terrified. But if he was so terrified, why didn’t he roll up the window? The taxi windows are automatic. One button. Very easy. Even I know that!”

Lyra blinked. “Huh… that’s… surprisingly logical.”

Zane’s smile widened slowly. “Is it now…”

Eli blinked in confusion. “It is? Wait—is it? What did I say?? Did I say something genius?? Lyra—did you hear that? Tell me I said something genius.”

“Shh,” Zane said. “Let him think he did something genius. It’s adorable.”

Eli was about to protest, but Zane cut him off with one hand raised.

“That,” Zane said softly, “was the missing crack. The one clue that didn’t fit anyone’s story.”

Lyra turned. “Explain.”

Zane’s eyes gleamed. “Soon.”


ZANE CALLS FOR A GATHERING

He stepped into the center of the crime scene area and raised his voice.

“Everyone—Suspects, officers—gather around. It’s time.”

Eli whispered, “He’s doing the Agatha Christie thing again.”

Lyra whispered back, “Shh. Let him have his moment.”

Zane straightened his coat, sly smile perfectly in place.


THE FINAL RECONSTRUCTION

“Let’s begin,” Zane said calmly. “Our victim entered the taxi willingly and calmly. He wasn’t running from anyone… yet he seemed scared. But scared of what?”

He paced slowly, eyes moving from one suspect to the next.

“Daniel claims the victim received a frightening message. Possible. But Daniel couldn’t hear what it was. He assumed fear because he needed fear to justify following him.”

Daniel tensed. “I didn’t—”

Zane silenced him with a gesture. “Next. Olivia says she came to return a watch. But the watch is polished. Recently. Why polish something you’re returning? Unless you wanted your fingerprints removed.”

Olivia’s eyes widened. “I—”

“Marcus claims he was simply passing through. But he’s wearing cologne, not gym scent. Which means he didn’t shower at the gym. He showered somewhere else.”

Marcus clenched his fists.

Zane continued.

“All three lied. But lying isn’t enough to make someone a killer.”

He stepped beside the taxi.

“The meter recorded TWO STOPS.”

Everyone leaned forward.

“The first stop was where the victim entered. The second stop was where the killer exited.”

Quinn frowned. “But no one saw someone leaving.”

“Exactly,” Zane said.

He then pointed at Eli.

“Because, thanks to our brilliant Eli—”
Eli puffed with pride—
“—we know something crucial: The taxi windows were open the entire time.”

“What does that change?” Daniel asked nervously.

Zane turned sharply.

“Everything.”

He tapped the taxi roof.

“The killer never OPENED the door at the second stop.”

Lyra’s eyes widened. “He didn’t exit… through the door?”

Zane nodded. “Exactly.”

Marcus scoffed. “You’re saying he climbed out the window? Impossible.”

Zane smiled. “Not climbed. Slipped.”

Everyone looked confused.

Zane raised the small grey dust sample he had taken earlier.

“Factory-grade metal dust. From fire escapes. Newly painted ones.”

He pointed behind them—to the building across the street.

A fire escape ladder dangled just above taxi-roof height.

“The killer stepped onto the taxi roof at the second stop… and climbed onto the fire escape before anyone noticed.”

Eli gasped. “HE ESCAPED UPWARDS! LIKE A SPIDER!”

“Yes, Eli,” Zane sighed. “A murderous spider.”


THE KILLER

Zane turned to the suspects.

“One of you knew exactly where the taxi would stop. One of you waited for that moment. One of you had a reason to avoid fingerprints on the murder weapon.”

He looked at Olivia.

“You polished the watch. But the watch wasn’t the clue.”

He faced Daniel.

“You followed the victim. But fear wasn’t your motive.”

Then he stopped in front of Marcus.

“You, Marcus Vale… claimed you were leaving the gym. But your gym’s fire escape was freshly painted yesterday. That’s where this dust came from.”

Marcus’s face went pale.

“And your statement about the taxi ‘swerving’?” Zane continued. “A perfect way to explain why you were already near the taxi’s second stop. You positioned yourself perfectly to climb out.”

Marcus shook his head. “You can’t prove—”

“The victim’s blood is on the soles of your boots,” Zane said softly. “I noticed the faint smear on your left tread. Only someone who stepped OUTSIDE the taxi after the murder would have it.”

Marcus froze.

Then he lunged.

Officers tackled him instantly.

Marcus screamed, “He deserved it! He ruined my brother’s life! He—”

Zane raised a hand, calmly cutting off the outburst.

“No need,” he said. “We heard enough.”


THE CASE CLOSED

As the police dragged Marcus away, Eli exhaled dramatically. “Wow. And here I thought Daniel was the guy. Or Olivia. Or… all of them.”

Lyra nodded. “The upward escape was brilliant. Completely unexpected.”

Zane shrugged casually. “It was obvious.”

Eli looked at him. “Obvious?! NOTHING about this was obvious! Except my objection! Which I still don’t understand!”

Zane patted Eli’s cheek lightly. “You made a beautifully stupid observation. And sometimes, stupidity illuminates brilliance.”

Eli blinked. “Was that… a compliment?”

Lyra smirked. “Take it before he takes it back.”


THE FINAL WALK

They walked toward their cars, the morning sun climbing slowly across the quiet street.

Eli yawned. “I need breakfast. And sleep. And therapy.”

Lyra stepped beside Zane. “You know… this was impressive. Even by your infuriating standards.”

Zane glanced at her with a sly smile. “Careful, Lyra. If you praise me too much, I might think you like me.”

She scoffed. “Don’t flatter yourself.”

Zane chuckled. “Never. I let others do that.”

Eli groaned. “Please stop flirting. My heart can’t handle it.”

Zane reached his car door, paused, and looked back at them with a thoughtful glint.

“In the end,” he said softly, “truth always takes the strongest route… even if the killer takes the highest one.”

Lyra and Eli stared at him—half annoyed, half impressed.

Zane tapped his coat collar, turned away, and walked ahead as if nothing extraordinary had happened.

And the morning swallowed the last trace of the mystery.

THE END.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wall Of Lies

"Blind Truth Witness"

"Paper Mill Murder"